Cat Adoption Team (CAT)
Cat Adoption Team’s mission is to save the lives of homeless cats and to work with our community to provide feline expertise and quality programs and services for people and cats.
Bottom Line for Portland
Your donation to CAT means healthier, happier cats and people throughout the Portland metro area! Together, we improve and save the lives of cats in our community through adoption, foster, sheltering, and spay/neuter services. The CAT Helpline and related programs help people keep and care for their cats, even during difficult times. And your support helps make the Portland metro area a model community for animal welfare. Donations—as well as the support of adopters, volunteers, fellow nonprofit organizations, and corporate partners—have helped make the Portland metro area one of the safest in the nation for homeless animals. Even during the challenges of the pandemic, our community stepped up to help CAT take in and find new homes for more than 2,600 cats and kittens last year!
“[I] absolutely love all those involved with Cat Adoption Team! I didn't adopt a cat from them, but they helped me keep my 6 yr old cat at home💕. My cat needed surgery that I couldn't possibly afford, but they helped me find resources to get her surgery done so I didn't have to surrender her.” — Tatiana S., CAT Helpline client
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Respect for people is a core value at Cat Adoption Team. We desire to create a space where all people are welcome, respected, and safe. We know that we have a long way to go to address issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)—both at CAT and within the animal welfare field. In 2020, our organization committed to better understand and advance this work. CAT now has a DEI committee of staff, volunteers, and board members. This committee has developed a multi-year framework to ensure we make impactful change, not only in policy and procedure, but within the organizational culture. In this first phase, we have completed a professional DEI training for all staff, made minor accessibility improvements on our website, researched our bank’s lending practices in regards to the treatment of BIPOC borrowers, designated a gender-neutral restroom, and are auditing our hiring practices, among other things. We recognize that the process of determining and implementing meaningful action to improve DEI at CAT will be ongoing. We are committed to transparency and accountability in our efforts.
• 10-in-10 Challenge Match: From November 1-10, your donation to Cat Adoption Team will be matched—up to $10,000 total, thanks to a matching challenge from two anonymous donors.
• Team Up Giving Day: On November 16, the first 50 donors who give to both Cat Adoption Team and PAW Team will receive a $15 gift card from Meat for Cats & Dogs AND a free scoop coupon from Dairy Hill Ice Cream.
• Coffee & Cats: The first 50 donors age 35 and under will receive a coupon for free coffee drink from Purrington's Cat Lounge.
Just like cats, we all love treats! Thank you to these scrumptious locally-owned eateries for supporting Cat Adoption Team in this year's Give!Guide:
• Dairy Hill Ice Cream – a family-run, community-oriented ice cream shop where friends and neighbors can enjoy the sweet treats of yesteryear
• Purrington's Cat Lounge — a neighborhood café in Northeast Portland offering coffee, tea, beer, wine, food, and the chance to visit with adoptable kitties