Our mission is to protect and restore the water quality of the Columbia River and all life connected to it, from the headwaters to the Pacific Ocean.
Bottom Line for Portland
Columbia Riverkeeper unites communities to fight for clean water and our climate—and win. Launched in 2000, we have grown into a diverse, respected organization known for combining grassroots organizing and legal advocacy to secure victories for clean water, salmon recovery, and our climate in Portland and beyond. With your support, we will:
- Fight Like Hell for Our Climate - Our goal: Defeat all new or expanded fossil fuel infrastructure and engage in community-led efforts that slash greenhouse gas emissions. We are working to stop oil-by-rail in Portland and defend the city’s historic policies for our climate.
- Stop Toxic Pollution because All People Deserve Safe Fish and Clean Water - People want to feed their families fish, but health advisories warn that many resident fish are too toxic to eat. We work in solidarity with Tribal Nations, sue polluters, and advocate for laws that protect all people that rely on locally-caught fish. Like many basic human rights, our right to clean water requires constant and unwavering defense.
- Prevent Salmon Extinctions - The Columbia once produced more salmon than any river on Earth. Today, Columbia River salmon populations are a fraction of their historic size. To ensure that future generations can catch Columbia River salmon, we advocate to remove four harmful dams on the Lower Snake River, fight climate change, and restore habitat.
- Monitor Water Quality So You Can Swim with Confidence - We promote safe swimming and recreation by collecting E. coli samples at nine Portland-area swim beaches and providing data on our Swim Guide app with easily accessible data.
With your support, we will defend and restore the lifeblood of the Pacific Northwest.
“From my perspective, they’re easily one of the most effective groups in the country. It’s hard to overstate their importance.” —Eric de Place, a program director for the Sightline Institute
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Our vision is a Columbia River that unites people to fight for clean water, abundant fish and wildlife, and our climate. We are committed to achieving this vision by advancing justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in environmental decisions and our own actions. Learn more about our approach at columbiariverkeeper.org/about-us/equity.
- -The first $5,000 in donations will be matched by Schooner Creek Boat Works the Pacific Northwest’s premier boat repair yard.
- -Every donor will receive a 50% discount coupon to Pistil Designs offering thoughtfully designed headwear for an outdoor lifestyle.
- -Donors who give $150 or more will receive a case of cold brew from RISE Brewing co making the best tasting coffee on the planet, using the best organic ingredients they can source.*
*while supplies last
-Aesthete Tea is a QPOC owned loose leaf tea brand, based in Portland, specializing in farm direct, organic teas & herbal blends.
-Since 1987, Big Winds has been creating windsport enthusiasts in the Columbia River Gorge.
-Oregon E-Bikes wants to change the world and the way you move through it with the power of e-bikes. Ride happy.
-Clinton Street Theater - Portland’s fiercely independent movie theater and community space.
-Evo Hood River is an alpine ski shop, snowboard shop, and bike shop all under one roof in Hood River, Oregon.
-Jungmaven making high quality hemp clothing. Choosing hemp is a simple act that can help heal the planet.
-Sensi Graves Swim Eco-friendly swimwear made to move.
-Wayward & Wild - Apparel for the spirit of adventure & the great outdoors.