Our mission is to protect and restore the water quality of the Columbia River and all life connected to it, from the headwaters to the Pacific Ocean.
Bottom Line for Portland
Columbia Riverkeeper unites communities to fight for clean water and our climate—and win. Launched in 2000, we have grown into a diverse, respected organization known for combining grassroots organizing and legal advocacy to secure victories for clean water, salmon recovery, and our climate in Portland and beyond. With your support, we will:
- Fight Like Hell for Our Climate - Our goal: Defeat all new or expanded fossil fuel infrastructure and engage in community-led efforts that slash greenhouse gas emissions. We are working to stop oil-by-rail in Portland and defend the city’s historic policies for our climate.
- Stop Toxic Pollution because All People Deserve Safe Fish and Clean Water - People want to feed their families fish, but health advisories warn that many resident fish are too toxic to eat. We work in solidarity with Tribal Nations, sue polluters, and advocate for laws that protect all people that rely on locally-caught fish. Like many basic human rights, our right to clean water requires constant and unwavering defense.
- Prevent Salmon Extinctions - The Columbia once produced more salmon than any river on Earth. Today, Columbia River salmon populations are a fraction of their historic size. To ensure that future generations can catch Columbia River salmon, we advocate to remove four harmful dams on the Lower Snake River, fight climate change, and restore habitat.
- Monitor Water Quality So You Can Swim with Confidence - We promote safe swimming and recreation by collecting E. coli samples at nine Portland-area swim beaches and providing data on our Swim Guide app with easily accessible data.
With your support, we will defend and restore the lifeblood of the Pacific Northwest.
“From my perspective, they’re easily one of the most effective groups in the country. It’s hard to overstate their importance.” —Eric de Place, a program director for the Sightline Institute
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Our vision is a Columbia River that unites people to fight for clean water, abundant fish and wildlife, and our climate. We are committed to achieving this vision by advancing justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in environmental decisions and our own actions. Learn more about our approach at columbiariverkeeper.org/about-us/equity.
- -The first $5,000 in donations will be matched by Schooner Creek Boat Works.
- -Donors who give $25 or more through the month of November will receive a $5 off coupon for Ferment Brewing Company.
- -Anyone who joins Columbia Riverkeeper on Nov. 8 is entered to win 2 E-Bike rentals from Oregon E-Bikes.
- -The first 10 donors to give $200 or more will receive a case of cold brew from RISE Brewing co starting Nov. 15th.
- -The first 100 donors to give $60 or more starting Nov. 22nd will receive a $10 gift card to Hopworks Brewery.
- -Anyone who joins Columbia Riverkeeper on Nov. 28th is entered to win 2 Wing Surfing lessons from Big Winds.
- -Every participant will receive a 50% discount coupon to Pistil Designs starting Dec. 6th.
- -The first 15 donors to give $75 or more starting Dec. 13th will receive a $25 gift card from Evo.
- -The first gift of $1,000 starting Dec. 27th will win an ASA 101 sailing lesson, a four day course for one, from Island Sailing School.
- -The first six donors to give $33 or more starting Dec. 29th will receive a $25 gift card from Sensi Graves Swim.
- -The first five donors who give $73 or more starting Dec. 30th will receive a $100 gift card to Jungmaven.
-Since 1987, Big Winds has been helping wind sport enthusiasts in the Columbia River Gorge.
-Evo is an alpine ski shop, snowboard shop, and bike shop all under one roof.
-Ferment Brewing Company, a modern brewery fusing farmhouse techniques with a forward-thinking scientific approach.
-Hopworks Brewery creates exceptional beer and food with sustainable business practices that protect our planet and support our community.
-Island Sailing School promoting self empowerment for our community by providing easy affordable access to the world of sailing.
-Jungmaven making high quality hemp clothing. Choosing hemp is a simple act that can help heal the planet.
-Oregon E-Bikes wants to change the world and the way you move through it with the power of e-bikes. Ride happy.
-Pistil Designs offering thoughtfully designed headwear for an outdoor lifestyle.
-RISE Brewing co making the best tasting coffee on the planet, using the best organic ingredients they can source.
-Schooner Creek Boat Works the Pacific Northwest’s premier boat repair yard.
-Sensi Graves Swim Eco-friendly swimwear made to move.
(541) 399-7284Visit Website
Year Founded: 2000
Tax ID: 911583492
Columbia Riverkeeper is in the Environment category which is sponsored by A to Z Wineworks.
They're a medium-sized organization with activities in Clackamas Co., Multnomah Co. and Washington Co.