Community Transitional School
Community Transitional School is a private non-profit Pre-K-8 school dedicated to the educational needs of children whose families are homeless or in transition, or children otherwise at risk of school failure, throughout the Portland metro area.
Bottom Line for Portland
Our students are inherently at a disadvantage without a global pandemic, and Covid-19 has only exacerbated their vulnerability. CTS provides:
• A highly qualified and experienced teaching staff that includes four state-certified teachers, two full-time instructional assistants, one full-time teacher's aide, and a full-time Title-I instructor.
• A small, closely knit school with four combined-grades classrooms: Pre-K – Kindergarten, 1st – 2nd grade, 3rd – 5th grade, 6th – 8th grade.
• Two nutritious meals, breakfast and lunch, served each school day as part of the USDA school meal program. • Essential door-to-door transportation.
• Instructional Assistants and an Aide who offer one-on-one learning.
• Twice per year on-site Tooth Taxi dental clinic and once per year vision screening provided by Pacific University's College of Optometry.
• 5-week Summer Session • On-site Clothes Closet and Hygiene products
“I was homeless when I first came to CTS. Since I came… CTS has changed my life. The school has given me clothing, food, and many things my family and I needed. It has given me a place that is comforting to me and my family.” Soios, alumnus.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
CTS exists to help even the playing field for children experiencing homelessness and instability (or if not level it, ease the slant). All of our students are Title 1, meaning below poverty level and 82% from communities of color. 25% of our staff are people of color (7% African American, 7% Asian, 7% Latinx), and 7% immigrant. Last year 33 of our students moved at least once, one living in the family's van moved at least 65 times. Our literacy and social studies curricula reflect the diversity of our students.
Donations of $100 or more will get a set of cards drawn by students.
Year Founded: 1990
Tax ID: 931246605
Community Transitional School is in the Education category which is sponsored by Bank of America.
They're a medium-sized organization with activities in Multnomah Co.