Crag Law Center
Crag Law Center provides free and low-cost legal services to people working on the ground to protect our communities, wild places, and climate. We work with activists, environmental groups, and Indigenous Tribes to protect our forests, fight against fossil fuels, and support communities most impacted by environmental injustice. We are legal aid for the environment.
Bottom Line for Portland
Most communities don’t have the powers or resources that the fossil fuel industry does, and not all people have equal voice in the decisions that affect us. But, when people have the power of a lawyer standing beside them, we can balance the scales of justice.
Over the past year, Crag provided over 11,000 hours of free and low-cost legal services (a $4.1 million value) to conservation groups, communities, and tribes. As community-based lawyers, we are taking on corporations who value profits over people, protecting old-growth forests and watersheds, helping local residents stand up for their communities, and stopping fossil fuel projects around Portland and throughout the Pacific Northwest.
“I can tell you that nobody cares more, works harder, or does more with less than Crag Law Center. More importantly, they win. They win case after case for you, for me, and for our environment. We simply could not succeed without them.” - Brett VandenHuevel, past Crag client and former Executive Director of Columbia Riverkeeper
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Crag balances the scales of justice by supporting communities to achieve their goals for a healthy environment. Environmental justice in practice to us looks like elevating the voices of historically excluded communities by sharing tools to influence decisions affecting their lives and making environmental laws work for everyone. Read more about our commitment to equity here.
All donations up to $20,000 will be matched!
Come join us in person! On Giving Tuesday 11/29, stop by and visit us between 4pm - 8pm at Fire on the Mountain’s NE 57th patio and be entered to win prizes, including a $100 gift card to Fire on the Mountain.
- Donate $25 and get a 20% off at Thunderpants USA.
- Donate $50 and get a free 1 hour rental from eNRG Kayaking
- Donate $100 or more and get a bottle of Secret Aardvark hot sauce.
Donate $150 and get a Willamette Falls kayak or SUP tour for 2 with eNRG Kayaking
As community-based lawyers, we are grateful to have so many community organizations supporting us.
- Thunderpants USA's wedgie proof underwear is made in Portland, OR with organic cotton, and their core values are: ethical manufacturing, sustainable business practices, and exceptional quality.
- eNRG Kayaking is one of the top paddling schools in the Northwest with an on-water location in Oregon City at the confluence of the Clackamas and Willamette River.
- Secret Aardvark has been serving delicious, local hot sauce that pushes flavor boundaries for nearly 20 years, and a portion of their proceeds always goes back to community organizations.
Fire on the Mountain received a Gold Certification from Portland’s Sustainability at Work program, and they divert all of their food and paper waste to composting facilities; spent beer grains are used to feed local pigs & chickens, and all of the discarded fryer oil is converted to biodiesel.