Fences For Fido
No dog deserves to live outside on a chain. Fences For Fido improves the quality of life for dogs by building fences free of charge for dogs who previously lived on chains, tethers, and in small enclosures. In addition to the fence, we also provide an insulated doghouse for each dog as well as spay/neuter services and emergency veterinary care when needed. Since we built our first fence in North Portland in 2009, our volunteer network has expanded across Oregon and Southwest Washington, improving dogs’ lives, changing Oregon law, helping families stay together, and making neighborhoods safer.
Bottom Line for Portland
Fanning out from our Portland base, our volunteers have given freedom and safety to more than 2,700 dogs across Oregon and SW Washington. We helped struggling families in the pandemic by delivering thousands of pounds of pet food, and when we learned how hard the pandemic was hitting the families in Warm Springs, we launched Operation Warm Springs: Unchained & Loved. In a 5-month period we delivered pallets of food to the reservation, built 40 fences, 75 dog houses and shade structures, and provided more than 75 spay/neuter surgeries to this community with limited access to human and animal services.
“I couldn’t believe it when I looked in my backyard and saw 20 people, in the rain! Not only all of that, but the kindness and understanding about the challenges I was facing caring for my dog was also awesome.” — Fences for Fido client
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Fences For Fido was founded by 10 women who believe in inclusion. Just as we build fences to help dogs, we build virtual bridges to welcome and embrace everyone who wishes to join our mission. Our work naturally brings us into the yards and lives of our most underserved neighbors and has taught us that a chained dog in a yard is a visible symptom of many, often invisible, struggles inside the home. We work to build trusting, non-judgmental relationships with all families and communities we encounter.
- The first 10 people to donate $50 or more get a $15 gift certificate redeemable for awesome food or supplies at Meat for cats & dogs on E. Burnside.
- Donations of $35 - $75 get a stainless steel drinking straw kit in a travel pouch with our logo.
- Donations of $75 - $150 get an eco-friendly stainless steel utensil and drinking straw set in a travel pouch with out logo.
- Donations of $150 - $250 get a self-storing picnic or stadium blanket with our logo.
- Donations of $250 - $500 get an insulated lunch tote with our logo.
- Donations over $500 get an eco-friendly collection that includes the lunch tote, picnic/stadium blanket, and the utensil and straw kit, PLUS tips for having a great picnic with your dog.
We’re all about the love of dogs, and few people love dogs more than our friends at Meat for Cats & Dogs!