The Equi Institute
To enrich the health of the trans, queer, intersex and gender expansive community through trauma-informed care, culturally-affirming services and social justice advocacy
Bottom Line for Portland
The Equi Institute's team of community health workers work directly with queer, trans, BIPOC, unhoused folks in Portland. In 2021, we served over 200 marginalized individuals experiencing houselessness and facilitated ten LGBTQAI2S+ and BIPOC-focused community vaccine events. If you believe that housing is healthcare, access for all identities and providing human solutions for people living at the sharpest intersections of oppression, donate today. We can't do this without you.
“People don’t see me as another staff or someone superior, they see me as one of their own. It helps me open the door to get to know them better to be able to help them in more specific ways. They build trust in me, they share more stuff with me, and that’s one of the biggest things we need is trust. And that way I can know exactly how to help” - Lupe Medina, Community Health Worker
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The most important lesson from our work in primary care was that healing for our community must address the causes of health inequity. We focus our services around LGBTQIA2s+ folks, BIPOC, folks with significant mental health concerns, houseless folks, folks living with addictions, disabled folks, and elders. Equi’s staff are trained in the philosophy and practical application of the theories of cultural and gender affirming health care, Health at Every Size, Racial Justice, Economic Equality, and Non-Violent Communication, with a focus on community advocacy, education, and positive sociocultural change.
Week of November 15th:
- Every person who donates $20 dollars will receive a free cup of coffee from Never Coffee, on IG @neverlab
- Week of November 22nd:
- Every person who donates $20 dollars will receive a free cup of coffee from Speed-o Cappuccino, on IG @speedocappuccino
- Week of November 29th:
- The first two people who donate $50 to *both* The Equi Institute and Gather:Make:Shelter, will receive either a bundle/basket or a gift certificate from Scrap, on IG @scrapportland
- Week of December 6th:
- The first person who donates over $150 will receive a $100 gift certificate from Artifact Creative Recycle, on IG @artifactpdx
- Week of December 13th:
- The first 2 donors who donate $100 will receive either a magical self care bundle or gift certificate from The Raven's Wing Magical Co, on IG @theravenswingmagicalco
- Week of December 20th:
- The first person who donates $75 will receive a $50 gift certificate from The Herb Shoppe, on IG @theherbshoppepdx.
- The first 2 donors who donate $75 will receive a goody bag from Peak Extracts, on IG @peakextracts_hemp, including CBD chocolate, tinctures, and/or lotions.
- Week of December 27th:
- The first 50 people who donate $25 will receive a 1oz CBD Drops - Beverage Enhancer from East Fork Cultivars, on IG @eastforkcultivars. When you pick up your prize, you will also receive a 15% off discount to shop with them.
Peak Extracts Hemp
The Raven's Wing Magical Co.
Artifact Creative Recycle
The Herb Shoppe
East Fork Cultivars