OPAL Environmental Justice
OPAL Environmental Justice Oregon builds power for environmental justice and civil rights in our communities.
Bottom Line for Portland
In a typical year, OPAL develops leadership and advocacy skills with more than 150 community members, most of whom are low-income, Black, Indigenous, and people of color, and/or youth. Together, we win campaigns on housing, transportation, air quality, energy policy, and public health. Successful campaigns in recent years have won reductions in fare for youth and low-income riders, put Rider Ambassadors instead of police on the Portland Streetcar, and worked in coalition to pass state bills focused on affordable and clean energy.
"If it wasn't for OPAL providing resources and guidance, I wouldn't have found this path of seeking liberation in not only having a just transit system, but also in seeking pathways of liberation from racial capitalism. This empowerment, from what I know, is the best way forward for Black, Indigenous, and other oppressed communities." - Cuauhtemoc Mikalauskas, former Organizer-in-Training fellow, current Bus Riders Unite member
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We recognize that environmental justice is racial, economic, and social justice. We understand that no long lasting change is possible without leadership and insight from the communities who experience injustice as a lived reality.
As a frontline base-building organization, OPAL is staffed and led by low-income communities of color, transit-dependent communities, and people from neighborhoods who experience the immediate and disparate effects of gentrification, pollution, and social injustice. Our staff is 87% BIPOC, and our Directors are 100% BIPOC.
- All donations up to $5,000 will be matched!
- Come join us in person! On Giving Tuesday 11/29, stop by and visit us (and a bunch of other great environmental nonprofits) between 4pm - 8pm at Fire on the Mountain’s NE 57th patio and be entered to win prizes, including a $100 gift card to Fire on the Mountain.
- Donors of $50 or more will receive a 25% discount off their next purchase at Mixteca
- Two 35 years old or younger donors will be entered into a raffle for one of two $100 evo gift cards
One donor (of any amount) will be selected to win a $100 evo gift card
The first 20 people to join our Air Circle by becoming a monthly donor at $10+/per month will receive an OPAL tote bag with a t-shirt, button and Scout Books notebook
- Mixteca is a family-run restaurant sharing traditional Oaxacan tamales and sauces called moles. The Mixtec people are the indigenous inhabitants of Oaxaca, and developed regional flavors and cuisine that are internationally known today.
evo is a ski, snowboard, mountain bike, surf, wake, skate, and camp retailer with a big ol' flagship store in SE Portland!